A Brief Description
Thailand, literally translated ‘Land of the Free’, covers an area of South-east Asia slightly smaller than France. Originally called Siam, Thailand is a country rich in culture and natural beauty. It has been blessed with expansive natural parks, fertile plains, remote jungles, beaches washed by turquoise waters and tropical islands bathed in endless sunshine. Home to many immigrants, the Thai people have managed to preserve the traditions of their unique culture, at the same time absorbing the practices of modern living. The combination of cultures and backgrounds make Thailand a memorable country to visit.
The capital, Bangkok or ‘City of Angels’ is one of the world’s most exciting and exotic cities. It is a place of striking contrasts where ancient temples stand alongside modern office buildings. Not only the powerhouse behind Thailand’s spectacular economic growth it is a city offering excellent sightseeing, shopping, dining, entertainment and night life.
Thailand has a humid, tropical climate, and it is hot all year round. The best time to visit Thailand is during the cool season, from October to February, when it is not as humid as during the summer and the rainy seasons. The average temperature is around 65ºF to 89ºF (18ºC to 32ºC).
Getting to Thailand
British Airways, Qantas Airways and Thai Airways fly direct from London Heathrow to Bangkok and the flight time is 11 hours and 20 minutes. Thai Airways fly direct from Bangkok to Phuket daily and the flight time is 1 hour and 20 minutes. Bangkok is 7 hours ahead of GMT.
Accommodation in Thailand
Shangri-La Hotel (5 star deluxe)
Set on the banks of the Chao-Praya River, the Shangri-La, rates as one of the best hotels in the world. A luxurious riverside resort in the heart of Bangkok it has 868 deluxe guest rooms. Facilities include a choice of 12 restaurants and bars, 2 large swimming pools overlooking the river, fitness and health club, tennis and squash.
Le Meridien Hotel, Phuket (5 star deluxe)
Set in 40 acres within a private secluded bay, Le Meridien offers seclusion from the bustling Patong Beach area, yet still within easy reach for nightlife. Facilities include 2 swimming pools, jacuzzis, tennis & squash courts, beach volleyball, golf range, water sports and a fitness & massage centre. There are also two 18 hole golf courses nearby.
Tours & Excursions
- River Cruise down the Chao Praya River or ‘River of the Kings’ on a restored rice barge to see the homes, temples, and daily activities along the river.
- Visit to the Grand Palace, the most important shrine in the Kingdom, which includes the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, with its solid green jade Buddha Image, the Throne Hall, State Reception Hall, and Coronation Hall.
- Visit to the Temple of Dawn built in the late 1700’s and is Bangkok’s best known landmark.
- Visit to Samut Prakan Crocodile Farm and Zoo, the world's biggest crocodile farm with over 30,000 different species.
- Evening visit to Patpong which is famed for its vibrant nightlife and after-dark atmosphere. With scores of bars and restaurants and bargain-priced, colourful market stalls selling all kinds of exotica throughout the area.
- Full day tour to Phang Nga Bay & Paradise Island starting with a cruise through mangrove swamps to visit the Tham Lok and Koh Panyee popularly known as James Bond island. Continue on to Koh Rang Yai, the paradise island with beautiful secluded white sandy beaches excellent for snorkelling & swimming, sun bathing and a variety of water sports.
- Golf at the Phuket Country Club
- Jeep Safari off the beaten track. Watch a rubber tree being tapped for latex, relax on a hidden beach, watch monkeys picking coconuts, visit the Gibbon Rehabilitation Project, and taste juicy pineapples at a plantation.
- Elephant Trekking through local forest and mountain land.
A Typical Trip
A typical five day incentive trip to Thailand might include:
- Return scheduled flights from London Heathrow to Bangkok Don Muang
- Return internal flights from Bangkok to Phuket
- Luggage and guest transfers by air conditioned coach
- Welcome drink on arrival and hotel porterage
- 4 nights accommodation inclusive of breakfast
- Deluxe beach buffet on the first evening at your chosen hotel
- Two further dinners at local restaurants or locations
- Gala dinner at a specially selected location on the final evening
- Welcome pack in guests’ rooms including useful information and map
- A half day tour to give guests an overview of the destination
- A full day excursion including lunch on location
- Event Manager to ensure the smooth running of the event